Student Travel Grants
MILCOM offers student travel grants to help offset travel costs. Awards are competitive, and the award amount is based on the geographic location of the applicant, with a maximum award of $1,500 USD. Individuals can only receive one travel award and only one person per paper can receive an award.
To be eligible, the applicant must meet all four criteria below:
- Be a full-time graduate student.
- Be an author or co-author of an accepted MILCOM 2015 paper.
- Register and attend MILCOM 2015.
- Present the accepted paper.
- Local Travel (within 100 miles driving distance): $300
- Domestic travel (non-west Coast origin): $750
- Domestic Travel (West Coast): $1000
- International: $1500
How to Apply:
Eligible students may apply for the award through EDAS. Once the application has been submitted, the student's academic advisor will be asked to enter a letter into EDAS to certify the student's full-time status.
The following actions must take place for MILCOM to consider the grant application:
- Applicants must submit a grant application by August 24, 2015. Requests for a travel grant are submitted via EDAS.
- Once the application has been submitted, the student's academic advisor will be asked to enter a letter into EDAS to certify the student's full-time status. Advisor submissions must be completed by August 31, 2015.
How will award recipients be notified?
Award recipients will be notified by email (sent via EDAS) by September 12, 2015. Approximately four weeks prior to the conference, award recipients will receive an email from the MILCOM Finance Chair containing instructions for receiving the grant including all necessary forms. Recipients will be asked to respond via return email with their preferred form of payment and any necessary supporting instruction. Payment is available via check (issued from a U.S. bank) which can be picked up onsite or via electronic wire transfer. Wire transfers will be processed within 30 days after the MILCOM conference.
What is required to receive my grant?
At the conference, a verification form will be provided by the Session Chair to verify that the student presented the paper.
In order to receive your travel grant check (or wire transfer), we require you report to the MILCOM Operations Center during conference hours with all 3 items specified below:
- Either a completed and signed W-9 (if you are a U.S. citizen) or W-8BEN (for all others).
- A completed Student Presentation Verification form signed by your Session Chair. We strongly suggest you obtain the signature immediately following the conclusion of your paper presentation session.
- A valid government issued photo ID.