SSO 2020 Call for Abstracts and Videos - Now Closed!
The Call for Abstracts is now closed. The SSO Scientific Program Committee thanks participants for their abstract and video submissions for SSO 2020 – International Conference on Surgical Cancer Care, taking place March 25-28, in Boston, MA.
The Scientific Program Committee encourages both SSO members and surgeons involved in cancer care to submit their work and make this the best Annual Meeting yet.
- DEADLINE: The Call for Abstracts will close Monday, October 7 at 11:59 pm ET.* No extensions will be granted.
- ABSTRACT NOTIFICATIONS will be sent early December 2019.
- ABSTRACT WITHDRAWAL DEADLINE: Monday, December 16, 2019.
- SYMPOSIUM: March 25-28, 2020
Abstract Categories include:
- Hepato-pancreato-biliary (including pancreas)
- Other: Urology/Head & Neck
- Peritoneal Surface Malignancies
- Quality Improvement/Clinical Outcomes
- Upper Gastrointestinal (lips to ileocecal valve, including esophagus and stomach)
- Sub-categories: Team Science and Disparities in Surgical Oncologic Care
- Video: Techniques or Interesting Cases for Specific Disease Sites
To support you in the abstract development process, please view the on-demand educational webinar, The Framework to Submitting a Successful Abstract, available free of charge to SSO members at ExpertED@SSO. This webinar will help to increase knowledge of proficient scientific abstract formulation and the ability to practically apply this knowledge in the submission process for consideration by scientific symposia program committees. The webinar is moderated by Danny M. Takanishi, MD and Yanhgee Woo, MD with guest speaker Rebecca Auer, MD.
Review Information: All abstracts are subject to a blind peer-review by members of the SSO Scientific Program Committee, Breast Disease Site Work Group, Colorectal Disease Site Work Group, Endocrine/Head & Neck Disease Site Work Group, Gastrointestinal Disease Site Work Group, HPB Disease Site Work Group, Melanoma Disease Site Work Group, Sarcoma Disease Site Work Group and Quality Committee. The Scientific Program Committee makes all final decisions relative to the abstract selection and scheduling.
All reviewers, session planners and invited faculty will be required to disclose all financial relationships through the online system, helping to ensure high-quality, unbiased presentations and compliance with CME regulations. In addition, all authors must disclose all financial relationships during the submission process before their abstract will be considered and graded.
Please click here for more details on SSO abstract contests and awards.
For Frequently Asked Questions, please click here. If you have any questions regarding the Call for Abstracts or SSO 2020, please call the SSO during business hours at 847-427-1400, or email email@example.com.
* Given the increasing resources required to manage the Society’s abstract review management process, the SSO has enacted a $60.00 submission fee for each abstract submitted for consideration to the Annual Cancer Symposium.
Accepted Abstracts and the Annals of Surgical Oncology
SSO leadership believe that research presented at SSO’s annual meeting should be published in the Annals of Surgical Oncology (ASO), the official journal of the SSO. The following guidance provides submission information; detailed information is available here.
- Plenary and Parallel Session Oral Presentations. Authors of all abstracts accepted for plenary or parallel session oral presentation will be required to submit their manuscripts to ASO within one month of the meeting’s conclusion.
- Named Lectureships. Those who are invited to deliver the named lectureships of the SSO Annual Cancer Symposium will also be expected to submit a manuscript to ASO as a condition of the lectureship.
- Invited for ASO Submission. Authors of the top 20 to 25 abstracts will be invited to submit their manuscript for consideration of publication in the ASO. Identified abstract-manuscript submissions will be targeted for simultaneous publication at the time of abstract presentation.
- All Other Accepted Abstracts. Presenters of all other abstracts accepted for the annual meeting are strongly encouraged to submit their manuscripts to the ASO as well. Publication of all manuscripts in the journal is subject to the ASO peer review process.
Waiver of Submission Requirement. Waiver requests will be accepted by a given deadline and are subject to review by the ASO Editor and an officer of the SSO. To request a waiver of the submission requirement, email the ASO Editorial Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submission Non-Compliance. Abstract authors who do not submit their manuscript within the designated timeline will be sent an official letter from the SSO. Among other criteria, the SSO Scientific Program Committee may take into consideration failure of authors to submit manuscripts presented at prior SSO meetings in determining the final program for the annual meeting.