Poster Presentation Preparation Guidelines
The following important information should be read by all poster session presenters in preparation for SSO 2018.
- The poster surface area is 3' 10" (116.84 cm) high and 7' 10" (238.76 cm) wide (poster board is 4' x 8' (121.92 cm x 243.84 cm). Do not exceed the size of the poster surface area.
- Prepare a heading to appear across the top of the board listing your poster number, title and authors.
- Keep the board heading within an area of 7" (17.78 cm) down from the top. You may use the entire width of the board.
- The lettering of this section should not be less than one-inch high.
- A copy of your abstract, typed in large type, should be posted in the upper left-hand corner of the board or available next to the Board for interested readers. Velcro® and thumbtacks can be used on the Board.
Tips on Making Posters
- Keep text and legends short.
- All material must be readable from distances of three feet or more. You are strongly encouraged to use type at least 1/4" high (.635 cm) - 22-point type, using bold type to ensure legibility.
- Make all print dark (we recommend block style) on a very light, preferably white, background.
- Please do not use a dark-colored background for your type.
- All material should have a flat finish, not glossy.
- Keep your presentation concise and the number of pieces to a minimum.
- Charts, drawings and illustrations should be similar to those you would otherwise use in making slides and, if anything, cruder and more heavily drawn.
- Keep everything as simple as possible; avoid "artsy" or overly ornate presentations - block letters can be very useful here to add emphasis and clarity.
- If photographs are used, try to have them processed with a matte or dull finish. Captions should be brief.
- It helps the viewer a great deal if you can indicate (by numbers, letters, or arrows) a preferred sequence that might be followed in studying your material.
- Your poster should be self-explanatory so that you are free to supplement the information and discuss particular points raised by inquiry during the poster session. The poster session potentially provides a more intimate forum for the informal discussion than the regular presentations, but this becomes more difficult if you are obliged to devote most of your time to merely explaining your poster to a succession of visitors.
- Projection equipment and electrical outlets will NOT be provided in the poster session area.
- If you have any questions concerning your presentation, please call or e-mail SSO Education at 847-427-1400, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary - Most Important
- Use standard sheet sizes with large print (at least 1/4" high (.635 cm) - 22-point type). Use Velcro® or push pins to attach.
- No dark backgrounds - No high-gloss photos.
- Keep heading within 7" (17.78 cm) from the top and include your abstract number, title, and name of authors. Post a copy of your abstract in the upper left-hand corner.
Call4Posters® is SSO’s Preferred Poster Printing Partner
While you prepare for your upcoming poster presentation, we wanted to provide you with information on this unique poster printing service. More than 50 US and International medical societies and institutions have selected Call4Posters® as their poster printing partner for their annual meetings and scientific conferences.
- State-of-the-art printers with InstantDry print technology for a smudge-free, crisp result every time
- High quality tear-resistant paper, ideal for detailed print jobs including scientific graphs and charts
- Proof reading services by professionals with experience in the medical and scientific research field
- Free, pre-formatted poster templates to make building your poster easier
- Direct delivery to the conference location means no carrying, no checked bag fees and no need to arrange delivery
- Onsite Call4Posters® customer service available during the meeting to answer any questions
Click here to place an order for printing your poster in advance and picking it up on site at the convention center.